Monday, March 10, 2008

a few things on my mind...

I'm excited to have met a few of you after only a day of starting this blog! Something that has been on my mind lately... have any of you who are recovering experienced permanent nerve damage to the lower lip, jaw, or cheek areas? I've been told that this is a possibility, however a small one. Has anyone heard of this happening frequently? Thats one issue that I'm kind of concerned about. I've been looking at people's post-op photos and it seems like it definitely depends on the person as far as the amount of swelling and how low it takes to go down. Has anyone had any complications that they were not aware could occur before the surgery? Is anyone else also having/had just their mandible advanced? It looks like a lot of the surgeries deal more with the maxilla.

Also, today I had an appointment with an ENT that I saw when I broke my nose a few years back. He wanted to make sure my nasal passages were in good shape before surgery because of all the swelling and congestion that occurs. I mentioned to him that about a year ago, I started to have pretty intense head and neck aches. My family doctor just told me to cut caffeine and other stimulants. I stopped drinking sodas (because of the aspartame which can cause headaches) and coffee (i had to start drinking coffee again to stay alert in my early morning classes this semester). However, last week I experienced another episode where I had to sleep for two hours, and after i woke up that day and even the next morning, I could still feel it a bit. Now, every day since then... when I get up from laying or sitting down, I have a throbbing pressure and slight pain in my head mostly on the left side. I've experienced that before, but not EVERY time I stand. He believes that this could be related to muscle strain in my jaw. Has this happened to anyone else? I hope its just a muscle issue, and not blood pressure related.

Sorry that was such a rant! Hope everyone's braces/recoveries are going well!

2 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Ha! That coffee is a hard one to get rid of...a cruel mistress that has been banished on many occassions yet always comes creeping back! Poopy that you're having such a hard time with the headaches~NOT fun at all. I hope you're able to get a more definate answer as to the cause. I get this when my sinus' are blocked, but if you've had this checked out already I have no idea. Hopefully (sounds weird to say but) it is jaw related as perhaps this would mean folowing surgery it becomes a non-issue?

If you can't rant here, where can you rant!? Bring it, siter! :)

Heather said...

Well, I have some pretty severe TMJ pain and my symptoms are sinus pressure, eye pain, severe ear pain, muscle spasms over my jaw area, jaw joint pain, neck and shoulder tightness/pain, migraine like headaches, and sometimes my arms ache. All these things seem to hurt more when I am up moving around or even riding in a car on a bumpy road. If you clench your teeth during the day or at night when you're sleeping you might get some headaches and neck aches the next day. You could try to buy a mouth splint over the counter and wear it to bed at night and see if this helps the headaches. If it doesn't then you know it's something else. I'm not a dr but when I first started having tmj pain it started with just headaches and pressure in my face. I also had alot of ear pain so my dr always treated me for sinus infections and allergies. It took 3 years for me to get diagnosed with tmj disorder. So anyway hope this helps.