Saturday, June 14, 2008

29 Days Post Op































I apologize for how long it has been since my last post! Also, for the poor quality of the pictures... I couldn't find my camera so I used the webcam. I had been delaying taking pictures for so long and I couldn't let myself procrastinate any longer.

Anyway, I had my second post op appointment on the 9th. They were very pleased with how I am healing and with my bite. I'm still unclear as to why I have only TWO rubber bands (thats all I've ever had). I was always under the impression that my mouth would be full of them (not to mention in addition to a splint that I never had!) Oh well, I won't complain! They didn't do another X-ray, which surprised me. My next appointment is in two months. My first ortho appointment is in one week. I'm somewhat nervous about it... they always have to jerk my mouth around to get the wires in right, and often break a bracket in the process. My mouth is really small so it makes it difficult for them to place the wire in the back molar bracket. Ahh, I really don't want them messing around with my jaw this soon. I will be so glad to get these surgical hooks off. Will they come off this soon since I only have 2 rubber bands? The surgical hooks on my bottom front teeth have made what seem like permanent holes in my bottom lip. Not pleasant.

I'm on a no chew diet for about 2 more weeks. But I've been able to "tongue-chew" and swallow fish, lasagna, baked potato, and cheese cake to name a few. I actually really haven't minded being on a soup diet. I definitely suggest Matzo Ball Soup... the broth is great and the matzo just melts on your tongue. It might be too much to cook on your own while recouping.. so either cook them beforehand and freeze them, or ask your friend or family to help you :)

I seem to have a heightened sensitivity to sugar (my HR goes up), so I was happy to find the premade Carnation chocolate no sugar added breakfast shakes! (I believe they are made with splenda.) If anyone has the same problem look around for those.

I think most of my swelling as gone down. I can still tell where the swelling remains, but I don't think many others can. I can't see the incision on my left side, but the incision on my right is still slightly inflamed and noticeable.

I'm already counting the days until these braces come off and I can whiten my teeth! I use to have pretty healthy white looking teeth but... having multiple Starbucks locations on campus and off have had quite a toll! I couldn't stay awake through my morning physiology lecture without a latte. It will also be nice to look closer to my actual age when I am braces-free! I've always looked younger than I am (20yrs), but in the past year another college student told me she thought I was in middle school... and most adults assume I am in high school. Oh well, I figure I will enjoy looking young while I do, even if I DO look like a middle schooler :)

My weight has been going crazy. I've lost about 9 or 10 lbs... but it shifts every day! +1lb, - 2lbs, +2lbs. My body must still be storing everything I eat because its not like I am eating big enough meals to account for the daily weight change. I really want to stabilize; I needed to lose that weight anyway (the college pounds were starting to add up). Hopefully my metabolism will speed up once I start to be more active ("Body, I'm not starving... I promise!!")

I hope everyone is doing well! Especially Holly! By the way Holly, your boyfriend sounds absolutely wonderful! Hang on to him! Mine has not yet gotten to such a good caretaker stage haha. Of course, he was not with me directly after surgery... and if you don't see it first hand, you just can't understand.

Heather, I hope your recuperation is going well!

KP, if you have any questions... let me know. Good Luck!!

Hope everyone has a beautiful Father's Day!!

6 comments:

Dragon (Karen) said...

Great to read you're doing so well!

Keep up your great attitude and tell your ortho you're concerned about your jaw being hurt. Hope that appointment is a good one.

Take care!

holski said...

Leah! There you are! You look amazing by the way. =)

Thank you for the well wishes. Each day gets a bit easier, but I am still struggling with the changes.

Yes, you are right about Brennan. He is an absolute gem. We've been together for almost 7 years. Don't worry, I won't let this one get away!

ingrid said...

you're looking great! so lucky that you didn't have splints. good luck with your ortho appointment!

Katherine said...

hi Leah,
I enjoyed reading your update. You look really good! and you're right, it's hard to see much residual swelling. You're so optimistic about the liquid diet and all. That's good, b/c some days I wonder how I'll do it. :)

Andy said...

Hi, I really like your blog. I am having a similar surgery at the end of August so it was nice to read this. I have book marked it so I can read it again to prepare myself.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Same here about no splint and only 2 rubber bands; it strikes me as less barbaric..

Good to read you're doing well. yay!

Mylene