Saturday, May 31, 2008

15 Days Post Op

Its been a few days since I have updated, so I'll recap:

First Post Op Appointment- They were pleased with how I looked (bite and incisions). For some reason it felt like I had 4 bands in my mouth, but there were actually only 2! Which she replaced and showed me how to in case I needed to before my next appointment (June 9th). I'm pretty confused as to why I only have 2 bands. All the people who I read about before surgery had a mouth full of rubber bands. I'm hoping this is OK. She also showed me my X-ray. She told me that if everything looks good at my next appointment, then she wouldn't see me for about 5 more months. If thats the case, I will request that a copy of my records me sent to me at that time so that I can put up that X-ray!

Since then, nothing has really changed. The swelling seemed to go down SLIGHTLY, but this morning its back again. I'm more swollen around my neck and chin today. I'm just hoping its because I haven't been sleeping as upright as I should be recently... and not an infection or problem like that.

Heather (or any other post-surgery friends), do you have what feels like a hard "pocket" of swelling near your jawline? Its been like that since the swelling was down enough for me to feel the area. I'm hoping its just normal swelling.

I haven't taken any pictures since my last post, but I will hopefully take some tonight and post later.

I've been able to open a little wider; its so weird to feel like you are opening to a normal extent, then look in the mirror and it only be a little wider than the width of a finger! Can anyone tell me why this is affected by surgery? I would think that since the joint isn't actually manipulated that after the swelling was down you would be able to open normally. Why does lengthening the bone affect how wide you can open for so long? Is it muscular?

My mom thinks maybe I've been doing too much lately (talking, errands)... but I feel like I've barely done anything. As a whole, I feel perfectly normal. So its difficult to tell myself that I'm NOT normal yet, even though I feel that way. I'm home for the summer to heal and just be at home for a while before I head back for Fall semester.

Heather was saying that she has been feeling those "waking up" sensations of the nerve; I have not been feeling any. Somewhat worrying... but even if my sensation doesn't come back at all, its not terrible. I've pretty much already gotten use to it anyway. The only thing is when I have a drop of food or drink on that area, I don't notice it.

Heather, were your stitches on your cheeks the dissolving kind, also? Are they still there? Mine are. I'm not really sure how long they are suppose to remain there. I haven't felt my incision stitches coming out yet like you have. I can't believe you are still having pain. Its so strange how different this surgery can be for people. I hope that your pain/discomfort quickly goes away!!! My surgeon never even mentioned physical therapy. I wasn't aware that it was an option for this type of recovery.

Oh, one more thing. Every since surgery, I have been coughing like crazy. At first I just thought it was because my throat felt so raw and beat up. My throat doesn't hurt anymore, but I'm still coughing and having to "clear" my throat all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? I was on antibiotics for a sinus infection before surgery, then antibiotics after surgery so hopefully that cleared up anything. And since I don't have any other symptoms, it shouldn't be a virus...

Guess thats all for now. I'll try to get those pictures up soon.

6 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

So good to hear from you again and hear that all is going well. It IS amazing how different this recovery seems to be for everybody.

My understanding is that Yes, it is the muscles that make opening so difficult. 1. your mouth was cranked pretty wide for the actual op and2. Your muscles rebel over having to stretch in a new way, and they don't like it much . Kind of likebeing in pretty good shape and kicking butt at yoga/boxing/running/whatever sport you do...then chopping wood and finding your muscles aren't used to that motion. Maybe a crap analogy, but you know what I mean :)

Hope the persistent coughing/ throat clearing lets up...beyond the first week discomfort from intubation (as you mentioned) I don't have a clue.

Talk to you soon :)

Heather said...

Well, in answer to your questions, I didn't have any stitches on my cheeks he used steri-strips because the cut on my cheeks were so small. I do have that weird swelling your talking about but on my upper lip. It feels really hard and it hurts to talk sometimes. It almost feels like the muscle is just really tight. So, I do think it's just the muscles. Also, I had the sore and scratchy throat but no cough. I still get a sore throat every once in awhile. I hope all of this helps. Take care; if you have any more questions just ask.

holski said...

Leah! Sounds like you are doing really well. That's great! I don't have the hard pockets of swelling near my joints, but I am having quite a few wake up sensations! Not nearly as many as I'd like though. I still can't feel the tip of my nose, my cheeks, my lips or my chin/neck! ahhaha. At least I have 5 more weeks to sit on my couch and wait for them to come back.

I am so happy that everything is going as planned and you look great! You practically look back to normal! Good for you girl!

Michelle said...

That is so awesome that your recovery is going so well. I do hope the cough lets up though. Do you think it could be allergies?

Don't push yourself too hard though, your body just went through an awful lot.

Take care!!

ingrid said...

hi there! sounds like you're definitely getting better. good luck!

Krupa Patel said...

Hi Leah! My name is Kristen. Glad to hear your surgery went well! I'm about to have surgery on Monday and I'm so excited! I noticed that your jaw looks really good in your profile picture...is that from before or after the surgery?

And since you've gone through it already, do you have any advice for me? I can use all the help I can get. :P