Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Am I Crazy?

So since my surgery, I've felt that my nerve damage has been very minimal. But recently, I feel like there is more. I don't know if I'm just becoming more aware or if it has actually gotten worse. The only reason I don't think its just me becoming more aware is that I have been pretty much healed for a while now and I think I would have noticed this a long time ago. Originally I thought that the damage only affected the right corner of my mouth and a small area under it. Now its: right corner of mouth, ~1 inch square under it, the same area on the left side under mouth, and almost the entire area on the inside of my right cheek and right gum line. I don't think that any of these places are completely numb (except maybe part of my gums and inside cheek). The best way to describe it is that I can feel pressure put on it, but the lighter sensations just feel different or not at all.

Anyway, has anyone read anything to suggest that nerve damage could become worse after initial recovery? I'm really hoping that its just me... going crazy.

2 comments:

holski said...

I can't answer your question... but I can say that I experience the same thing. Sometimes, most of my bottom lip feels incredibly numb. Unbearably numb. Sometimes, I think to myself, wow... I am not too numb today. Weird! I am confused as to whether it is all in my head, or the truth.

Andy said...

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for your blog. I had surgery on Monday, its now Wednesday, and it was probably the most helpful resource for helping me to prepare for what to expect. I'm actually feeling really good and very surprised that there is almost no pain! apart from the discomfort of the numbness and swelling

About your question, my surgeon told me that it can take anywhere from three says to six months to get back full sensitivity, depends on the person. So if your surgeon said that you had no nerve damage hopefully you will regain that part back eventually.

I honestly can't thank you enough :-)and your post surgical posts will be useful as well. I was slack with my blog but mine would never have been as comprehensive as yours anyway!