Saturday, April 12, 2008

One Step Closer

Got the "O.K." from insurance today. This just keeps getting more and more real. (To Holly) The less obsession thing must be going around, because I have been doing less and less of that too. Maybe its because I feel more prepared? I'm not sure. I still get super nervous about it though when I start to really think about it happening. It was really encouraging to see Wired Lady's pictures! I hope I recover as swiftly! (On that note, post some earlier post-op pictures!) One thing that I'm most concerned about is nerve damage. Has anyone heard anything regarding this from people who have already had the surgery? I know most people have temporary numbness, but how many people have permanent damage? And how large is the area that it affects?

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well!

2 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Wow, just (barely) over a month to go! No wonder it's feeling so real ~ great to hear you're prepared and ready to 'git'er done!'

I would have to think that, aside from the initial hurdles post surgery, the #1 concern is about the nerve/numbness factor. I believe the common rule of thumb is that most numbness is gone by 6 months, with the odd spot or two lingering for up to a year. Some say that at the 1 year mark, whatever numb areas you have are most likely there to stay, but I've read more than one person on the Yahoo forum saying that they've have full feeling come back past that point, up to 3 years later, so not to give up hope when the year roles around.

Don't know if that helps at all, hopefully you can hear from someone who's been there :)

holski said...

Hey Leah,
I think you should read this blog.

http://www.smilingbella.com/

It talks a lot about having accupuncture after surgery to help speed up the nerve regrowth process. This is something I am seriously looking into for after surgery.