Monday, May 26, 2008

10 Days Post Op

First off, good luck to Holly tomorrow! You'll do great! We're all thinking of you!

Tomorrow is my first post-op appointment. I'm curious to see how many rubber bands they put on me. I only have 4 right now (2 on each side), and they aren't really noticeable at all... especially since I can't smile too wide yet. Will they do molds? Seems strange to not allow me to chew, but do molds that have to be ripped off and tugged like crazy. Maybe just X-rays? I'm also going home tomorrow (5 hour drive). I had the surgery where I'm in school because there is a "top" hospital here associated with the university and my orthodontist's office is just down the hall from the surgeons. Apparently this proximity allows them to communicate well (though I have not seen any evidence of that.) I really ended up liking my primary surgeon and the resident who was involved in my surgery (met about 3 before I met the one who would actually be doing the surgery). One thing I remember about surgery, my primary surgeon was there when I was brought to the "pre-surgical area." As soon as she saw me she, she asked if I was ready and gave me a hug. It was comforting.

Surprisingly enough, I feel practically like my old self. Granted, this was my first day out and about (did a little shopping and a few errands), but I really feel great (knock on wood). I
NEVER expected this. I was expecting the worst, so that if it wasn't that bad, I would be pleasantly surprised, and if it was, I would be prepared. I thought I would still be sleeping constantly, unable to speak, and in pain. I'm happy to report that that is not the case.

My swelling seems to be at a standstill, but it basically just looks like I've had my wisdom teeth out now. The bruising has gone down almost completely on my right side, but still remains on my left side and top of my neck. The numbness hasn't changed. I'm not sure when/if it will, but I feel lucky that its only a small part of my lip and an area of skin on my chin and cheek. I was so worried about my whole lip being numb.

I still feel like I have an overbite, but as long as my teeth are in a correct "bite", I don't really mind if I still have that look. Its definitely better than it was. Aesthetically, I might have benefited from a genioplasty, but thats just more healing that I would have had to do, so I'm ok with the surgeons' decision not to do it (Which is what I was hoping for in the first place-- not to do it.)

New foods: chili; yogurt with a spoon instead of through the zip-n-squeeze; ice cream in its true form, not melted or thinned with milk.

Hope everyone is having a great week! It was a beautiful day here :)

Day 10 Pictures










My eyes are still puffy too.





































3 comments:

Michelle said...

I think you look fantastic, good for you!!
I feel like my chin is very similiar to yours and my surgeon has never mentioned the genio. I guess I'm okay with it too, as long as the bite is correct.
It's so good to hear you are out and about and feeling good. I hope I bounce back just as quickly.
Take care!

Heather said...

I think you look really good. Glad to hear you're out and about and feeling well. Your swelling doesn't look too bad; you're right looks like you had some wisdom teeth pulled. I hope Holly has as easy a time as you have with the pain (I'm not saying any of this was easy, by the way, it's not but you know what I mean right?). Do you have little spots that feel like they are "waking up"? It's a weird feeling...anyway will talk to you again soon, take care.

Katherine (Kate) said...

How'd your post-op appointment go? Did you get a whack of bands or just carrying on with the 4 from before?

You're looking great, and I'm glad to hear you've been pleasantly surpeised with how your recovery has been so far. I hear you on the 'prepare for the worst...' train of thought. Kind of like you can psyche yourself out!

Wouldn't be surprised if it feels like still overbite due to swelling and the like. As things calm down & settle into place, you're going to LOVE how everything comes together :)