Thursday, May 15, 2008

Last Post Before Surgery!

First off, I want to thank all of you for the warm wishes and thoughtful comments! It really does help to know that, in addition to my family, I have all of you to talk to about everything that is going on.

I have to check in at the hospital at 7:30am tomorrow morning. My parents came in town this afternoon, and instead of dealing with having roommates, we got a hotel to stay in for tonight through Sunday. But I may be in the hospital for a couple nights, they can't really tell at this point.

I've been really good at keeping my nerves at bay until this evening. I'm getting incredibly nervous and jittery. My mom has been amazing at helping me to prepare for all of this; she's been doing just as much research as me!

I'm letting myself analyze things way too much. I'm a pre-nursing student (soon to be in nursing school), so I keep thinking of little things that could happen, yada yada. But it makes me feel more confident to know that my surgeons do "1-2 of these a week."

So the surgical hooks were put on Tuesday-- they aren't terrible. They didn't bother me at all really until I woke up this morning with a huge hole/indentation in my lower lip from one of them. So for those of you who will be getting them in the future, keep that ol' braces wax handy just in case.

One thing that I could use some advice on from you post surgery folks!.. I sneeze ALL the time! Whether I'm sick or not, it must be allergies. They say to avoid sneezing at all costs... any advice on how to do this?!

Here are some before pictures for you all:


The last is just a normal smile with my jaw forward... hopefully it won't be forever until I can fully smile again! Wow, won't it be nice to smile like that withOUT jutting my jaw forward! (positive thoughts.. positive thoughts)

I told my mom to snap a few pictures while I'm in the hospital, even if I'm not giving her any cute expressions! I hope to be able to post myself by Sunday; I guess it all depends on how long I stay in the hospital.

Well, I guess thats it for me tonight. Thank you guys for all the support! It means the world! Keep checking in, there will be a post ASAP.

5 comments:

holski said...

Good Luck!!! You don't need it though, I know you're gonna do great! :) Take care! hugs!

ingrid said...

good luck! you'll do great. i have terrible allergies and had no problems with the sneezing post surgery. i was so incredibly congested and just wanted to breath. did not have the urge to sneeze at all. not sure if that's common, just my experience.

Michelle said...

Just checking in to see if your Mom posted yet. I'm sure everything went just fine. How exciting to have it all behind you!! Now just focus on taking care of yourself and you'll be back to normal in no time!!

Dragon (Karen) said...

Keep thinking positive! :-)

I hope you're doing great! ((( Hugs )))

Heather said...

Hi Leah! Hope everything went good for you yesterday. I am 3 days out of surgery and am still in a lot of pain. Can't wait to hear from you and see how it went.