Friday, May 23, 2008

One Week Post Op


One week down!































I can't wait for the swelling to go down and I'm not such an oval-face anymore.

This picture is right after surgery: my nose and forehead were already bruising



















Not much to report. Swelling has gone down some and my throat is getting better. My energy is definitely coming back also.

New food accomplishments:
-"spaghetti-Os" and "chicken-Os" which is just like chicken noodle soup. I manage to put a noodle-O on my tongue and just swallow it whole. Doesn't do much for taste, but it just feels good to have some non-liquid food on my tongue!
-carnation milk shake with chocolate ice cream
-cream of potato soup

I'm already so sick of sleeping upright. My rear just doesn't like all this responsibility! One of the books we have said to sleep upright for 2 weeks.

I'm not really sure how my profile looks yet, but I know things aren't exactly where they will be because of all the swelling.

For my pre-surgery friends:
-buy vaseline lip therapy tubes! They are a life saver.
-also, expect your skin to have some crazy changes after surgery. I never had a problem with oily skin, but I feel like I'm a teenager again (times 10! it gets that bad). I'm not sure if its a side effect of the anesthesia or the swelling.
-zip-n-squeeze bags are great. I mostly use them for fluids now. 2 days ago I started using a spoon to poor my "foods" (shakes, soups) in my mouth... it just makes them more appetizing for some reason.
-if at all possible, have someone with you for the first 3-4 days. I couldn't walk by myself for the most part for that time period.

I think thats it for now.

6 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Wow! So good to see you back up and posting again...Sheesh, go away for 2 days and I feel so out of the loop :)

Sounds like you had quite the time at the hospital...I'll make a little doll of evil nurse, chant scary things and poke it with pins (or an old toothbrush) asap. Thank goodness for Moms.

Yes, you're swollen, but you still look so cute, all lovingly wrapped with the jaw braw!

May the near future see a decrease in the respsonsibilty required of your bottom...Love how you put that :) Take care!

Heather said...

You look great! Glad to hear from you again about your progress. I agree with you about sleeping sitting up...my behind doesn't like it either. But, we gotta do what we gotta do. Your swelling has gone down a bit too. I'm so glad you have minimal pain; that is just awesome. So, anyway, take care and keep getting better.

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah said...

Hi, my name is also Leah and I'm going to have the same surgery June 21st. My mom came across this site while doing research. It is good to read this to better know what I will look and feel like.
~Leah

Shanda said...

I was super oily too. I wear a mask at work, and would forget to wipe my face off after I took it off. Sometimes I'd look in the mirror and I'd be shiny. I love those oil blotting tissues you can buy. Although at the beginning I could use a paper towel!! It definitely gets better! Hang in there, sounds like you're on the mend!

holski said...

girl, thanks for posting. I love reading the updates. Everything seems to be moving along as planned. Good for you!